Removing unwanted hair is a hassle for most women and we are always looking for easier and more efficient ways to get rid of them. Epilators and trimmers are gaining popularity as they can be used to remove hair at the convenience of your own home.
Both of them look quite similar but use very different methods to remove hair. An epilator uses multiple tiny tweezers to remove the hair. This will pluck multiple hairs at once. Therefore, you will experience quite a lot of pain during the process. However, the hair will take longer to grow back as it is being plucked from the base and you won’t need to remove them often.
On the other hand, a trimmer will just cut the hair and will not cause you any pain but the hair will grow back quickly as the hair is being cut from the middle. This means you will need to remove your hair often.
Let us look at each method in detail and understand which one works better. Read along to find out the pros and cons of each method along with a comprehensive comparison between the two to decide which is more suited for you.
What is an Epilator?
An epilator is a device that uproots the hair from the base. These devices use multiple electronic tweezers to pluck hair from the roots. Since they pluck the hair from the roots, your hair will take longer to grow back. This means you will have smoother skin for longer by epilating instead of shaving.
They are also preferred over waxing because they can be used on hairs as small as 0.5mm in length while waxing can only remove longer hair. This is why you are asked to grow your hair out before waxing.
- They work on all areas of the body
- They can remove small hairs
- They remove hairs from the roots which gives a smoother finish
- They are small and compact devices that are easily portable
- Since they use multiple tweezers to individually pull the hairs out, they can be quite painful
- They might not be suitable for sensitive skin as they can be irritating.
- The hair removal process is very long as compared to other methods
- Does not work on thick, coarse hair
- They can be quite expensive
How to Use an Epilator?
Prepping is very important before using an epilator. Here are some ways which you can ensure that your skin is properly prepped before and after epilating:
- Taking a warm shower before using an epilator will open up your pores and make the hair removal process easier. It will also make it less painful to remove the hair.
- You should also properly scrub the area to remove any dead skin. This will result in a smooth and even hair removal.
- If you are using a wet epilator, then you can simply jump in the shower and do all the prepping and then use the epilator at the end of the shower.
- If you are using a dry epilator, you need to dry the area with a towel and then use the epilator. Hold the skin tight and slowly run the epilator over it to remove the hair. Sometimes, you will need to use the epilator twice on the same area to remove all the hair.
- If you are using an epilator for the first time, then you will feel some pain. Don’t hurry and take plenty of breaks in between to get used to the pain.
- After you are done removing your hair, you should use some ice or Aloe to soothe the inflamed skin. Don’t forget to moisturize the skin to prevent the dry and itchy feeling after shaving.
What is a Trimmer?
Trimmers are cordless devices that trim hair. This means that your hair will be cut from the middle instead of being uprooted from the base. This is a very painless procedure and can be done very easily on all areas of the body.
However, these do not give you a smooth feel because the hair is being cut bluntly from the middle instead of being removed from the roots. The result is also short lived as the hair can quickly grow back and give a prickly, stubbly feeling.
- Easy and quick to use
- They can be used on wet and dry hair
- They are affordable
- Works on all hair texture
- The result is not long lasting
- They don’t give a smooth result
- It is believed that regular usage of trimmer can make your skin rough and damaged
How to Use a Trimmer?
A trimmer is very easy to use. Most trimmers come with multiple attachments for specific hair lengths and areas. All you need to do is use the correct attachment according to the hair size and thickness.
Even though you can use a trimmer on both wet and dry hair, it is advised to use it on dry but moisturized hair. This will prevent cuts and keep your trimmer sharp for a long time.
It is also very important that you maintain a consistent speed while trimming, this will prevent uneven and patchy trim.
Difference Between a Trimmer and an Epilator;
|Pain||A trimmer is completely painless |
|Epilator is very painful to use|
|Regrowth||The hair will grow back very quickly |
because the hair is being cut
|You will get smooth, hairless skin
for a long time because the hair gets
uprooted from the base
|The result here is not as smooth||This gives a very smooth and silky finish|
|Ease of Use||They are very easy to use||They are easy to use but will cause
|Time Required||This is a very quick way to remove hair||This will take longer as it functions
at a single speed. The time might be
longer due to the pain
|Price||Trimmers are generally affordable||Epilators are generally very expensive|
|Hair Type||Trimmers can work on all hair types |
but they can only cut down the hair
to 0.5mm in size
|They do not work thick, coarse hair|
Which is Better- Epilator or Trimmer?
If you can get used to the pain, then an epilator is clearly a better option of hair removal. This is because the epilator removes the hair from the root while trimming just shortens the hair. Epilator also gives you a long lasting result and regular usage of epilator can reduce the growth of hair naturally.
On the other hand, trimmers can give you a rough, stubbly feeling because the hair is being bluntly cut from the middle. They are great for emergencies where you need to remove hair urgently but they are not as reliable as epilators.
Epilator and trimmer use very different techniques of hair removal, epilator uses tweezers to pluck the hair out whereas a trimmer just cuts the hair. This is why you get such different results from each device. Epilator is great for areas where you intend to completely remove the hair like arms, underarms, legs, etc whereas trimmers are great for areas where you intend to shorten the hair such as eyebrows, bikini line, etc.